Monday, November 24, 2008

Opposites Attract

Anyone that knows me as well as my husband can quickly discern that we are opposites in many ways. One time I met a respected "Auntie" from Sudan who has known Mark for many years. The first time she saw me, she grabbed me hugged me and said, "I'm so glad to meet you! We've always wondered what kind of woman was married to Mark!" This has happened to us many times.

In October Mark invited me to accompany him to the annual Gala banquet for his magic club. It was very interesting to meet his fellow prestidigitators. We sat at a table where a lively discussion regarding the care, training and feeding of doves was under way. This seems to be a hot subject in magic circles. In any case, it caused me to reflect lovingly on all Mark endured at my choir dinner. He actually had to sing Elvis (I Can't Help Falling in Love w/You) and Home on the Range. With me. In Public. I'm grateful that he doesn't expect me to perform in his magic act.

A few weeks ago I lost all my keys. Of course I lose my keys many times a week; but this time they were missing for two weeks (the Princess found them sitting next to the computer--didn't I look there 100 times?). Mark always hangs his keys on the hook next to the front door. He placed the hooks there for this purpose. Why don't I just put my keys there? he asks. I don't know. Maybe it's the ringing phone, the bags of groceries I'm carrying, or just plain old irresponsibility. One day we were in the car, discussing again where the keys could be. I hung my head in shame and said, "I'm just a big mess-up". Mark reached over and patted my knee and replied lovingly, "That's okay, honey, we're just opposites."

We both started laughing as he added, "You know, I mean that in the best possible way."

Opposites attract.

3 comments:

Don and Be said...

Love you guys........... I mean that in the best possible way......

Don and Be said...

Happy Thanksgiving to the Austin Tribe

Don and Be said...

Is anything happening over there in France?