Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Nick, Joe and Kevin Fever


They came toward us flowing with the crowd leaving the concert. The princess was sobbing, bangs plastered to her forehead, damp with sweat. I hugged her and asked her what was wrong. "I saw Nick".
Nick JONAS, that is: the cute, sensitive one from the Jonas Brothers band. The princess and her best friend from school had been anticipating this big concert for months. At the last minute I bailed out and only acted as chauffeur. Our 25 year old friend accompanied them in my place. Happily, Katie is a much more accomplished concert goer than I am. She knew how scope out the best spot by the stage. The girls were all three close enough to claim, "Joe looked right at me; so did Nick." As a bonus, another Disney star, Demi Levato was the opening act. Evidently it was stinking hot in the Zenith that night. Plus they were all squeezed together in the crowd. Security men were passing out water. Young girls were just passing out. This is where Katie's skill was most appreciated. During the final song, "Burning Up" little Rose passed out--and the Princess was on the verge. Katie successfully navigated them to the first aid section to join all the other girls who had "seen Nick" and were recovering from the experience.
After all they had been waiting a couple of hours outside before the doors opened--standing in the sun. When we dropped them off Luke took one look at the thousands of girls and said, "I'm starting to think maybe I should go to this concert." But Amy had the best quote of the night, "This is the second happiest day of my life--just after my wedding."
1. I sure hope she marries some day so she has something to live for now.
2. Where did I get a daughter who screams, cries, and passes out over a musician?

2 comments:

annie said...

I am so happy for the Princess, but I have to agree with you--I never got the whole fainting-for-a-singer bit.

And what is Luke talking about? Don't girls faint every time he walks down the street? He's WAY cuter and more talented than any Jonas kid.

Katie said...

Oh I miss having you here in the office too! I like your writing very fun!
Hope Kansas is treating you well- the show was taped but it still has to be edited so maybe i'll have it by the time you return. I can't wait to see it either.
xoxo