Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I know. I know.



The deal is that sometime around his 14th or 15th birthday he was supposed to transform into a hideous creature called a teenager. My understanding was that door slamming, moodiness and a penchant for insulting his parents would make me dream of the day I could ship him off to college.
Instead he became really cool, thoughtful, funny. The kind and gentle heart he demonstrated as a cute little boy only grew kinder, gentler. He developed insights to God and the world around us that challenged me and helped me grow as a person.
His musical talent and sensibility made it a joy to lead worship with him at church. Watching MTS3K with him and laughing at the same stupid jokes made him more like a friend than a jerk that I had to cook for and clean up after. He often would have to patiently correct my French, or my attitude. Always with kindness and understanding.


In two days we will drive to the airport, hug and say goodbye until Christmas. He is launching into an amazing future. We have no doubt that he will do much good in this world. I keep reminding myself that this is what we've raised him for. This what we have all done to our parents at some time or other. And we have two others still at home--almost as good as him.
But, dang. I'm going to miss that kid.

1 comment:

Wilaustu said...

Thanks. You're a great blogger and a great mom.