Monday, April 21, 2014

Grief and Asiago

I'm so very sad. Heartsick sad.

Last week a friend we've known for 25 years suddenly passed away, leaving his wife, three children and hundreds around the globe in grief and shock. Doug was caring, godly, funny, transparent and hospitable. We have been blessed to share a lot of life with Doug and Karen--cross cultural training as newlyweds, birthdays, Christmas, graduation, Thanksgiving, France, grief, laughter, kids . . . so many memories.

I was slicing Asiago cheese onto my salad and was suddenly awash in the sadness and warmth that accompany grief. Once I went to Doug and Karen's home to take Doug to the airport. He made me a sandwich with Asiago cheese. It was a great sandwich. He told me where and when I could find the cheese at our grocery store. Forever I will associate Asiago cheese with Doug Bradley. And each time I do I will pray for those who are experiencing this great sadness of losing him. But I will also remember the great hope we share of eternal life.

In Philippians 1, Paul express a tender affection, a phileo love that he has for his co-laborers in the gospel.  Phil 1:6 I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 7 It is right for me to think this way about all of you, because I have you in my heart, and you are all partners with me in grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and establishment of the gospel.

This passage has often been a comfort in the grief and pain of missing someone. "It is right for me to think this way". It is right even when I feel very sad.

No comments: