Monday, October 15, 2007

Unexpected Common Ground

Last Friday I was madly dashing about running errands before leaving town. (Never want to leave the hubby and tykes without making sure they have all they need) Anyway, I noticed that there were lots of children at the strip mall, with their parents, not at school. It came to mind that it was the beginning of the 3 day feast to celebrate the end of Ramadan. Instantly I recalled the feeling I have every year at Thanksgiving time, which is such a big deal for our family, a day that we let the kids skip at least half a day of school, but for the people around us it is a day like any other. I thought, this must be what it feels like for my Muslim neighbors to be celebrating one of their biggest holidays while everyone else is having a day just like any other. It is another day in the ex-pat zone.

No comments: