Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Christian Zeal

Dear Friends and Family,

After a long absence, I'm back! It took several weeks to get internet at the new house--and several weeks more for me to get back to my old routines. Today I'll just post a quote from Jonathan Edwards that I read this morning. (I'm progessing usually one paragraph at a time through this rich book, Religious Affections)

" . . . some are much mistaken concerning the nature of . . . Christian zeal. It is indeed a flame, but a sweet one; or rather it is the heat and fervour of a sweet flame. For the flame of which it is the heat is no other than that of divine love or Christian charity, which is the sweetest and most benevolent thing that is, or can be, in the heart of man or angel. Zeal is the fervour of this flame, as it ardently and vigorously goes out towards the good that is its object; and so, consequentially, in opposition to the evil that is contrary to it and impedes it. There is indeed opposition and vigorous opposition, that is a part of it, or rather is an attendant of it; but it is against things and not persons."

2 comments:

Al said...

I think I need to read them half a paragraph at a time!

Anonymous said...

great to see you back!