Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Amazing Grace

The month of May is the best of the year in France. We have a total of four public holidays; the 1st, 8th, 17th and 28th. That means that there has been plenty of time for things besides work. I mentioned in an earlier post that I've been quilting like crazy. There has also been time to engage in my other passion--music.

Last year I joined the Chorale of Villabe. We practice every Wednesday night. Along with the fun of singing in a choir I also get the scoop on village goings-on. Most of the 40 people in the Chorale are retired and have lived in Villabe for many years. Last Wednesday we performed at the inauguration of our new town auditorium. There were speeches by local dignitaries, performances by children, string ensembles and the local theatre group. Finally it was our turn to take the stage. "Amazing Grace" was one of the four pieces we performed. As the only native English speaker in the group it was my duty to teach my fellow choristes how to pronounce all the words to all four verses. Let me tell you, it was no easy task! But as we performed I think I was beaming with just a bit of pride as we got through it. (how sweat ze zound). It helped to make up for all the times I sound dopey singing in French!

2 comments:

Don and Be said...

...and now for a rousing chorus of "La Plume de ma Tante" ..... everybody sing!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like the month of May in France. We sure miss you guys!