Saturday, May 19, 2007

That you may excel all the more

A few years ago I studied I Thessalonians during my devotions. Chapter 4 v. 1 struck me as the central theme of the epistle "Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that, as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (just as you actually do walk), that you may excel still more." This last phrase has been rattling around in my head all week. Maybe it's because at work I have been immersed in Excel spreadsheets. It makes for a lousy pun--but a good life lesson. So many things that I do every day; drive kids to school, wash dishes, prepare Excel spreadsheets are outwardly so mundane. But God wants to sanctify, make holy these divers activities.

God wants me to worship Him. Every morning for the past few weeks, while I sit at the table enjoying my coffee, I ask Jesus to show me how to worship Him in the midst of each thing I have to do that day. It sure has helped my relationship with the computer--and the people who ask me to spend several hours a day working on spreadsheets! So today, I have to mop, do laundry, cook for a women's dinner at church (and sing two songs!); Lord, may I worship and glorify you--that I may excel still more.

No comments: