Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Village Quilter Quilts

Quilting is one of my great passions in life. I love the feel of soft cotton fabric, the excitement of putting colors and textures together and the inspiration that comes to me in the middle of the night for the next quilt. Sometimes quilts make me weep. Last year my dear husband good-naturedly tagged along with me to a major quilt show in Lyon, France. One exhibit featured quilts all with the theme "I Remember Mama". We both cried looking at some of the fabric art we saw. All of that to say that quilting is much more to me than cutting fabric up into little pieces and sewing them back together. It is a way that I express love, celebration and mourning.



My sewing machine is on a desk at our bedroom window and I have a great view of our village and the valley and town beyond. When I am sitting there it is one of the times when I am still, contemplative, serene. I pray for the person that will receive the quilt.



This week I am on a quilting rampage. Evenings, I am handstitching binding on a Log Cabin quilt for our guest bed; after posting this message I will cut out the borders for a giant Dutch Rose pattern baby quilt for Souad and Mamdou's baby they adopted in Morocco; and I just ironed the fabric for a coffee-themed Irish Chain quilt for a friend graduating from lycée--going off to America for University. It is all so energizing!



I am the Village Quilter!

2 comments:

Don and Be said...

Your quilt awaits Joanna. I never thought a quilt could trigger emotions, but when we were presented with your gift for our future daughter we were deeply moved and continue to be whenever we see it.
We miss you - by the way, I begin retirement from US Airways on June 8 - more time for a trip to France......
Love your family,
Don

Rusky Jim said...

NRA 4Ever! Go get'em Nancy!